Friday, October 12, 2012

Billy

Today, I was driving home.  I was just a couple of minutes from home.  A school bus was in front of me and I was momentarily annoyed that the the flashing lights came on and I'd have to wait a whole 75 seconds more to return home.

The bus stopped in front of Billy's house.  A small kid hopped off the bus, ran around in front of it....and lept into a fella's arms.  He'd been hunched over.  As far back as I can remember, he'd been hunched over.  It was almost he'd been timid over his over six foot frame all his life.  Though he'd straightened up somewhat as he accepted this child into his hug.

He'd lived in that house for as long as I can remember.  When I was a kid, he and his brothers lived in that house, and I guess, he'd been the one elected to remain.

I remember him on the ball diamond.  I remember him on the hockey rink.  He tried hard.  Did well most of the time.  Though, he was least aggressive.  And when he fucked up, well, there was just a sheepish smile.

Then I remembered, my dad was tearing down the barn.  Billy showed up because his dad told him that Mr. Arnold was tearing down the barn and needed some help.  Billy was there until dusk.  He'd returned at dawn. He did that until the whole job was done.  My dad tried to pay him.  He refused.

Today, I saw him pick up his grandkid as he ran across the road.  He scooped him up.  He waved at me as I drove by.  I waved back.

He's a good fella.

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet post. I like that you notice these things about people and like it even better when you share. : )

    ReplyDelete