Friday, May 30, 2014

Roach

Roach came to see me today.  Roach is not his real name.  No parent of sane mind would christen their child 'roach'.  No.  He earned that moniker honestly in his early years.  Rick was an adventurous fella who dabbled in the offerings of the earth that produced pot in his early years.

He has moved beyond that in the last 20 years to become a dad and a husband honourably.  He married my cousin Claire.  They have enjoyed a life and two daughters.  A typical life, really.  Until this year.  Claire was diagnosed with cancer.  It developed rapidly and she succumbed to the disease last week.  The funeral is now a few days old and Rick came by today.

I was sweaty and full of dirt when he arrived.  I set my tools away and invited him in.  He seemed lost.  I offered him what I had to drink, iced tea, or pop.  He chose the iced tea.  We sat on the deck.  He was raw.  He came to see me since I was the only other one he knew who lost their wife young.  Of course I am 12 years younger....and it's been a couple of years for me..

He asked what to expect.  I told him honestly that I didn't know.  I told him that today wasn't any easier.  It was different.  I don't feel that I miss her any less.

The whole "Til death do us part" seems so distant when you say those words.....

Later,

Deaner

No comments:

Post a Comment